Everyone that attended the W2O October 23rd Roadside Assistance: Driving Change on our Streets and in the Oceans left the auditorium filled with new information about how to choose an ocean friendly low emission car. The feedback on the event was fabulous. Besides sparking more questions about car emissions, climate change and what we can do to make smart choices, there was one other question on everyones lips….How can I get that Chocolate Bark Recipe? Here it is!! Give Thanks!
Chocolate Bark with Pistachios & Dried Cherries
Recipe by Bill Bradley, Executive Chef, New England Aquarium
With the news that dark chocolate contains some healthful properties, there is a better excuse than ever to indulge during the holiday season. Specks of green pistachios and red dried cherries in this chocolate confection make for a festive holiday gift. Try with orange zest or hot pepper flakes as well. The trick is to have all ingredients ready before you melt the chocolate. I prefer the microwave since water and chocolate do not like each other.
- 3/4 cup roasted, shelled pistachios, (3 ounces), coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, or dried cranberries
- 2 Tablespoons crystallized ginger, chopped fine
- 24 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped, divided
- 1 Tablespoon sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- Line the bottom and sides of a jelly-roll pan or baking sheet with foil. (Take care to avoid wrinkles.) Toss pistachios with cherries (or cranberries), ginger, sea salt and thyme in a medium bowl. Divide the mixture in half.
- Melt 18 ounces chocolate in a double boiler over hot water. (Alternatively, microwave on low in 30-second bursts.) Stir often with a rubber spatula so it melts evenly.
- Remove the top pan and wipe dry (or remove the bowl from the microwave). Stir in the remaining 6 ounces chocolate, in 2 additions, until thoroughly melted and smooth.
- Add the pistachio mixture to the chocolate; stir to mix well. Working quickly, scrape the chocolate onto the prepared pan, spreading it to an even 1/4-inch thickness with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the remaining pistachio mixture on top; gently press it into the chocolate with your fingertips. Refrigerate, uncovered, just until set, about 20 minutes.
- Invert the pan onto a large cutting board. Remove the pan and peel off the foil. Using the tip of a sharp knife, score the chocolate lengthwise with 6 parallel lines. Break bark along the score lines. Break the strips of bark into 2- to 3-inch chunks.